Let’s look at how UPC codes are made before we come to the point where we can buy them. To begin with, you cannot write your own code. You must obtain it through GS1 — a non-profit organisation responsible with establishing global standards for business communication and retail product identification. Over 100 GS1 groups exist, each serving a different geographic area. You should be concerned with GS1 US in the United States. The first step in creating a UPC code is to give your goods a GTIN – Global Trade Item Number. It is important to know about where to buy upc.
If you’re not sure what the difference is between UPC and GTIN, consider this:
- GTIN is the number that complements the UPC code, which is a pattern of black and white stripes established to uniquely identify a product. It is a built-in feature of the UPC code. Here is how to make your UPC code:
- To begin, you must obtain a GS1 Company Prefix for your product. It’s just a number that your company uses to identify itself to companies all around the world. It usually consists of six digits.
- If your company is situated in the United States, you will receive the GS1 Company Prefix after joining GS1 US.
- A five-digit number is added to this Company Prefix that uniquely identifies your product.
- To make this 11-digit number, a check digit is inserted.
How to purchase UPC Codes?
Let’s look at how to purchase UPC codes now that we know how to generate them.
- The first step is to become a member of GS1 US and get your GS1 Company Prefix certificate. It is completed in order to obtain your Company Prefix – the unique 6-digit code mentioned in the previous section. Of course, there are alternative ways to obtain this number, but the number is unlikely to be associated with your company. Many business owners make the mistake of purchasing this prefix from third-party dealers who then resell it in bulk.
- The rest of the stages are essentially the same as the ones outlined previously. Give your firm prefix a unique product number. You can use any numbering system you like as long as it’s unique to each product you want to sell on Amazon.
- Create the UPC code for the 12-digit GTIN after you get it. You must also decide how the barcodes will be displayed on your goods. If you haven’t yet designed your product’s label/packing, you can obtain a digital barcode and print it directly on the labeling and packaging of your goods.
Keep in mind that these fees are only for barcode generation. You will have to pay an additional fee to order them or have them delivered to your products. This cost is determined by the solution provider you select. Because versions of the same product are intrinsically different in size, colour, design, or whatever criterion you choose, they are distinct items that require a distinct identity.
For more valuable information visit this website.